Today our lesson is “Develop Disciples to Serve.” Are these the kind of tools we use to become disciples, either the fishing or the carpentry tools? In order to develop as disciples, we need tools to help us learn, grow, and change.
New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Calls His First Disciples
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.
- Who was shing at the seaside? (Peter and Andrew, James and John)
- What tools did the shers use to catch sh? (boat, nets)
- What did Jesus call the shers to do? (to sh for people)
- Would it be dif cult to leave behind your job, what you had become skilled at and done all your life, and learn something new?
- The fishers wouldn’t use nets and boats to be shers of people. What tools would they use to be disciples of Jesus? What would they need to learn that they didn’t know as shers? (This question is for a brief overview and will be explored in more depth later in the lesson)
- What are Jack and Jenn preparing to do?
- Jack learned from Jenn and the Big Voice that they were going to develop disciples to serve. (You may want to add this to the poster or ip chart). What does develop mean? (from video: teach, transform, improve, grow)
- What is a disciple? (follower of Jesus Christ, a learner)
What do you need to develop in order to be a disciple?
Today the Community of Christ mission initiative we’re exploring is Develop Disciples to Serve. We in Community of Christ want disciples to be taught just as Jesus Christ taught his disciples: to follow him, to love God, and to reach out to others.
- What tools do we have in our church and congregations to help us learn to develop as disciples? (Write the answers on the ip chart. Answers may include ideas such as classes, worship services, opportunities to feed others, opportunities to care for others.
- What are you learning in school that can help you be a disciple of Jesus Christ (ideas such as, learning how to read and write, seeing people who are in need and learning how to help them, learning about the world, exercising and learning about nutrition to stay healthy).
- What do we do to teach and develop others to follow Jesus Christ, in our congregations, camps, and classes?
- go to Sunday School and attend worship services
- learn to receive the Disciple’s Generous Response (offering) during worship services
- learn to be a better reader and writer at school
- learn to cook to make healthy snacks and good meals for others
- learn to sing or play an instrument to share beautiful music with others
- go to camp, retreats, or reunion to learn how to follow Jesus Christ
- join a club to learn skills taught in Scouting, in a peace club, or other programs
- take classes to become a better computer user, dancer, carpenter, swimmer, or to learn a new skill
- help with church potlucks and other events